From Die Punt Resort, Keimoes to Die Mas, Kakamas and Sakkie se Arkie, Upington to Oranjerus, Kanoneiland
Day 1: Die Punt Resort, Keimoes to Die Mas, Kakamas – 26km
Start of day 1 will be at Die Punt Resort 20km outside Keimoes on the N14 on route to Kakamas.
6. 500m – Broken Weir – Keep to river right and hit the wave train in the middle. Choose your line left or right.
9. 7.2km – Neus Weir Portage – Portage on the right
12. 1,1km – Gorge Rapid – the river makes a channel going left around a reed island. The first channel left makes a 90° turn to your left and is marked in RED. This is the main rapid and the fastest line but as seen in the photos below it is the more difficult line.
The second option in GREEN shows the easier line, pass the first channel going left around the rock island and then follow the stream around the corner until they meet up again.
Aim for the left side of the two rocks situated in the middle of the river. This will line you up with the middle of the drop that is very swirly.
Day 2: Upington to Oranjerus – 28km
- We will be a batch start at Sakkie se Arkie on the right side of the river.
- After passing right, under the Upington Main Bridge, keep going river right to where the main stream splits.
- 5km – Where the main stream splits, keep to the far right. This stream will be clearly marked with a sign and enter the small weir anywhere on the right.
6. 1.9km – “Oukamp” Rapid, you can shoot it on the left OR right depending on the water level. Right is the safer option.
7. 2km – Keep in the main stream on the left.
8. 12,3km – Keep in the far left stream that will be clearly marked with signs. The river splits around Kanoneiland.
9. 400m – Kanoneiland Weir – Shoot the weir far left, if there is not enough water you may portage.