Day 1: Ikaia, Keimoes to Die Mas, Kakamas – 39km
Start of day 1 will be at Ikaia Resort just outside Keimoes on the R27 on route to Cape Town.
- 3.4km – Keimoes Weir – Shoot in the middle of the river and then choose your line left or right .
- 5.3km – Elim Eiland Weir – Shoot in the middle just right of the reed island and slide over the weir down the rocks.
4. 500m – “Die Punt” Portage Rapid- Enter at the top river right and follow the flow on the right.
5. 500m below this rapid is the takeout on your right to “Die Punt” Portage – Portage on the right (800m portage)
9. 7.2km – Neus Weir Portage – Portage on the right
12. 1,1km – Gorge Rapid – the river makes a channel going left around a reed island. The first channel left makes a 90° turn to your left and is marked in RED. This is the main rapid and the fastest line but as seen in the photos below it is the more difficult line.
The second option in GREEN shows the easier line, pass the first channel going left around the rock island and then follow the stream around the corner until they meet up again.
Aim for the left side of the two rocks situated in the middle of the river. This will line you up with the middle of the drop that is very swirly.
Day 2: Upington to Oranjerus – 30km
- We will be a batch start at Sakkie se Arkie on the right side of the river.
- After passing right, under the Upington Main Bridge, keep going river right to where the main stream splits.
- 5km – Where the main stream splits, keep to the far right. This stream will be clearly marked with a sign and enter the small weir anywhere on the right.
7. 2km – Keep in the main stream on the left.
8. 14km – Keep in the far left stream that will be clearly marked with signs. The river splits around Kanoneiland.
9. 400m – Kanoneiland Weir – Shoot the weir far left, if there is not enough water you may portage.