Day 1: Upington to Oranjerus – 30km
The mass start is at Sakkie se Arkie.
- We will start by rowing upstream. Turn around point at the River Taxi parked about 750mm upstream.
- After passing right, under the Upington Main Bridge, keep going river right to where the main stream splits.
- 5km – Where the main stream splits, keep to the far right. This stream will be clearly marked with a sign and enter the small weir anywhere on the right.
7. 2km – Keep in the main stream on the left.
8. 14km – Keep in the far left stream that will be clearly marked with signs. The river splits around Kanoneiland.
9. 400m – Kanoneiland Weir – Shoot the weir far left, if there is not enough water you may portage.
View Orange Descent Canoe Marathon - Day 1 (30km) in a larger map
Day 2: Ikaia, Keimoes to Die Mas, Kakamas – 39km
Start of day 2 will be at Ikaia Resort just outside Keimoes on the R27 on route to Cape Town.
Batches start first, and thereafter the Elapse Time Start for first 20min finishers of day 1
- 3.4km – Keimoes Weir – Shoot in the middle of the river and then choose your line left or right .
- 5.3km – Elim Eiland Weir – Shoot in the middle just right of the reed island and slide over the weir down the rocks.
5. Just below this rapid is the channel going into your right to “Die Punt” Portage – Portage on the right (1,4km portage)
9. 7.2km – Neus Weir Portage – Portage on the right
12. 1,1km – Gorge Rapid – the river makes a channel going left around a reed island. The first channel left makes a 90° turn to your left and is marked in RED. This is the main rapid and the fastest line but as seen in the photos below it is the more difficult line.
The second option in GREEN shows the easier line, pass the first channel going left around the rock island and then follow the stream around the corner until they meet up again.
Aim for the left side of the two rocks situated in the middle of the river. This will line you up with the middle of the drop that is very swirly.
View Orange Descent Canoe Marathon - Day 2 (39km) in a larger map
The Green Kalahari
come and experience the northern cape